Jobseeker Terms of Service
Careers24.com is a division of Media24, a company registered in South Africa with the company registration number 1950/038385/07. Our registered address is 40 Heerengracht, Foreshore, Cape Town, 8000.
We at Careers24 take the privacy of our jobseekers seriously and take every precaution to ensure that the Personal Information you provide us is used for its intended purpose.
As a jobseeker using our platform you are required to create a profile and optionally upload your CV and other supporting documents to help you find a job. By doing so, you are providing Careers24 with Personal Information and Special Personal Information that can identify you. This information can be in the form of (but not limited to) your name, email address, identity number, address, employment & educational history and your CV.
Accuracy of Personal Information
It is your responsibility to ensure that the information on your profile, CV, supporting documentation and cover letters is accurate and a truthful representation of your employment and work history. You may not create profiles or share personal information on behalf of another person. Careers24 will not be held responsible for candidate profiles that are inaccurate or make false claims. Where required by law, Careers24 will share fraudulent profiles with the relevant government and legal organisations.
How we collect your Personal Information
The way in which we collect and use your personal information is in accordance with these Terms of Service, which determines how we use the information. The majority of the Personal Information you provide to us is in the form of your CV document, online profile or on cover letters that you create when you apply to a job on the Careers24 platform.NOTE: If you do not wish to share your Personal Information with Careers24, please do not submit CV’s, create profiles or apply for vacancies on Careers24.
We may also infer certain information about you from your job search history, job alerts and application history.
We collect Personal Information about you from:
- Our Websites;
- Careers24 apps available in the Google Play and Apple App Stores.
- Publicly available information;
- Other tools and applications.
What Personal Information do we collect
The Personal Information we collect about you may include the following:
- General Personal Information that can directly or indirectly identify you such as your name, address, contact details, gender, marital status, date and place of birth, and photos.
- Sensitive Personal Information (if provided) such as religious beliefs, political affiliations, union membership, sexuality and health information, race (for EE reporting purposes)and criminal records.
- Personal Information required in order to provide the service of applying for jobs such as age, location, driver’s license, educational history and employment history.
- Your marketing preferences, including opt in for job alert emails, suggested jobs, competition entries, customer service surveys and third party promotions.
- Aggregate statistical information relating to site visits, as well as other lawful uses such as job and salary trends. We provide the non-identifiable aggregate statistics to our customers, advertisers and other third parties.
- Publicly available information that relates to your educational and employment history which includes, but is not limited to, skills and experience, professional body affiliations, memberships and affiliations as well as qualifications.
Why and when do we collect your informationWhen we need to fulfil our contract with you
As part of our role as Careers24, we have a contract with you to fulfil certain functions, such as to send your CV to the relevant employer or recruiter when you apply for a specific job.Consent
Careers24 processes your Personal Information with your consent. For example, we rely on your opt-in or consent when we send you Careers24 or third party promotional material in the form of newsletters or in app notifications. It is your right to withdraw consent at any time, and where consent is legally required in order to process, we will cease to process your Personal Information once consent is withdrawn.Where there is a legitimate interest
Careers24 processes your Personal Information when it is in our legitimate interest to do so, and when our legitimate interest does not override your rights to Personal Information privacy rights.
These legitimate interests include:
- Ensuring that our websites, services and Apps operate effectively;
- Ensuring the security and integrity of our Services;
- Providing goods and services to our customers;
- Marketing, promoting and advertising our products and services;
- Protecting and maintaining the safety, health and welfare of our employees, customers and other individuals;
- Compliance with legal or regulatory requirements e.g. for preventing, investigating or detecting criminal activity;
- Understanding our customers’ behaviour, trends, needs, activities and preferences;
- Improving our existing services and products and developing new products, features and services;
- Handling customers queries, complaints and disputes; and,
- Fulfilling our duties to our customers, colleagues, shareholders and other stakeholders.
How do we use your personal information
We use Personal Information to do some or all of the following:
- Communicate with you as part of our business;
- Update you on important information such as changes to our policies, terms and conditions, updates to the Careers24 Website or App and other administrative information;
- Carry out market research and analysis, including, but not limited to industry trends and satisfaction surveys;
- Provide marketing information to you, which may include information about products and services from selected third-party partners. This is done in accordance with your marketing preferences and you may change these at any time in your Careers24 account or unsubscribing from these mails when received;
- Personalise your Careers24 experience on the our Website or App by presenting job opportunities, course suggestions, advertisements and other group products and services that are tailored to you;
- Matching your CV or Careers24 profile against any job that you apply for in order to evaluate suitability for the role and highlight the most relevant applications. All applications are delivered and presented to recruiters irrespective of the matching score;
- Manage our business operations, and infrastructure, compliance with our internal and group policies and procedures, including, but not restricted to auditing; finance and accounting; collections and billing; IT systems; hosting of data and websites; and records, document and print management;
- Resolution of complaints, and compliance with data access or data correction requests;
- Compliance with applicable South African and International laws; compliance with legal processes; responses to requests for information from government and public authorities;
- Establishment and defence of legal rights protecting the operations, our rights, privacy, safety or property of Careers24, Media24 or other group companies or business partners, you or others; and pursue available remedies or limit our damages.
Who do we share you information withRecruiters and Employers
The primary function of Careers24 is to assist you to find and apply for jobs. When applying for a job directly on the Careers24 Website or App we may make Personal Information available to third parties such as hiring companies, recruitment agencies, intermediaries and other business partners. This is done to fulfil our contract with you. Recruiters and employers may also have access to your profile on the Careers24 Website in order to proactively source candidates. You can control who can see your profile online by managing your profile visibility in your account settings. The information available to third parties may also include when you were last active on the Careers24 Website or App, your application history. Your current employer may have access to our CV database and could access your profile and Personal Information online.Our Group Companies
We may share your Personal Information with third-party service providers such as IT systems, support and hosting providers, advertising and marketing agencies, cloud-based document storage providers, technical engineers, outsourced services providers and professional services such as accountants, auditors, lawyers and other professional services providers who assist us in carrying out our business activities.Other third parties
On occasion, we may share Personal Information with other third parties. This will always be shared under contract and in accordance with your preferences, instructions and privacy settings.Government Authorities and third parties involved in court action
Where required by law, Careers24 may share Personal Information with government or public authorities, and other third-party participants in civil legal processes where we deem to be legally necessary or appropriate to apply to applicable law; comply with a legal process; respond to requests from public and government authorities; to enforce our terms and conditions; to protect the operations of our Group Companies; to protect our or our Group Companies rights, privacy, safety or property; or to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit our damages.
How we make your information secure
Careers24 is committed to keeping your Personal Data safe and secure to prevent unauthorised access, destruction alteration or disclosure of the Personal Information that we store.
Some of the security measures include:
- Restriction of access to Personal Information by Careers24, Media24 and group companies, contractors, agents and third party service providers, except when access to the Personal Information is required to process on our behalf. All access given is subject to contractual confidentiality and processing obligations;
- Training for employees and internal policies stipulating our data security rules;
- Review our of data collection practices, including information collection, access and physical security measures;
Privacy and Third Parties
Your information and marketing and advertising
What are your rights regarding your information
You have the following rights regarding the protection of your Personal Information:
- The right to opt out of any marketing communications we, Media24 or our group companies may send you;
- The right to ask what personal information we hold about you and request a copy of this information;
- The right to ask us to update or correct any personal information that it out of date.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact the Information Officer using the contact details below.
How can you manage your information
When you create a profile or log onto the Careers24 Website or App, your information is protected by a password and only be accessed by you. You can edit, update or delete the content on your profile by accessing your account any time by logging in with your Careers24 account username and password. Your privacy is important. Never share your Careers24 password or login credentials with anyone, and if you use a shared computer remember to log off when you have finished visiting the Careers24 website.
When you create a profile on Careers24 your CV can be viewed by Careers24 customers. This is the default privacy setting. You may update who has access to search your CV through Careers24 by managing your privacy settings in the “My Account” section.
When you apply for a job, your CV is shared with the advertiser of the job, irrespective of the CV visibility privacy settings, and is in line with our contract with you.
When you visit the Careers24 Website or Apps, we collect and store some anonymous information for statistical purposes.
Careers24 reserves the right to remove or hide profiles from our database where the content is deemed to be illegal, offensive or an inaccurate representation.
You can elect to delete or hide your profile completely from the Careers24 platform at any time by accessing the “My Account” section. If you would like to permanently delete your profile or be forgotten, please send an email to the Information Officer listed below. Remember to tell us who you are.
How to Contact the information Officer
Careers24 has a designated Information Officer who is responsible for the protection of Personal Information.
You can draft any queries regarding this policy or our use of your Personal Information, please email us at email@example.com or write to us at Careersr24 Information Officer, 40 Heerengracht, Foreshore. Cape Town, 8000.