Role Overview This role is for an experienced EHS Manager. The roles primary responsibilities will be to support the safety operations for Data Centers in the Cape Town and manage a team of Safety Engineers across countries in the Middle East and Africa. You will have managed a team of at least 6 individuals, over a period of at least 5 years. Experience in remote management across multiple countries is required. You should be able to demonstrate how you have continued to improve performance of an existing team along with displaying skills in creating or growing a team of health and safety professionals. You will be part of a regional and global team that works with internal and external partners to maintain and enhance the safety of operations. Close collaboration with onsite physical security, vendors, compliance officers, risk management, and fire/life safety systems is required. Additionally, you will work with employees and contractors to achieve specific safety objectives.
You must be an effective communicator, sending clear, concise and consistent messages verbally, in written form, and/or public speaking forums. Equally important, you must understand the high level of diversity and cultural differences within the region and demonstrate that you are able to work with these unique challenges, while also navigating any language barriers and keeping on top of operational activities. You will advise, instruct and train company personnel on safety policies and procedures, as well as assist the teams in incorporating and improving our safety standards at their sites.
This role will report to the Regional Safety Manager - EMEA. This position is based in Cape Town, South Africa. Some domestic and international travel is required.
Responsibilities · Managing and developing Regional Safety Engineers, providing both technical and leadership expertise and ensuring highest levels of performance. · Recruiting talent for countries in the Middle East and Africa. · Creating a positive partnership with regional Leadership and serving as point of contact and escalation for safety related matters. · Ensuring compliance with global, regional and/or local Health and Safety standards across multiple countries in the Middle East and Africa. · Supporting new country launch including initial site inspections, identifying accountability, purchasing and site readiness review. · Conducting training and risk assessments. · Collaborating with outside vendors (General Contractors, sub-contractors, Emergency Services) as they relate to operations and construction. · Developing safety plans for on-site emergencies, special events and other unique safety situations. · Performing safety data analysis and creating benchmarking. · Ensuring safety recordkeeping and providing accurate reporting and metrics to support business safety initiatives. · Consulting and working with compliance teams on safety regulations interpretations and investigations. · Developing and implementing solutions to eliminate exposure to risks and prevent injury. · Adapting to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, strategy and deadlines. · Identifying, driving, and supporting the implementation of initiatives to reduce Health and Safety risks and improve team efficiency across countries in the Middle East and Africa. · All other duties as assigned.
· Minimum college/university degree in a safety and health field or experience equivalent. · Minimum 10 years of field experience, including South Africa. · Minimum 5 years of experience managing a team of safety professionals.
· 10+ years' of increasing responsibilities in safety programs in data centers, manufacturing, production, or equivalent industry that services operations.
· High ethical standards with a proven ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information; excellent judgment, discretion and diplomacy.
· Ability to develop and implement regional goals and strategies based on broader organization goals.
· Experience in remote management across multiple counties is required.
· Experience defining, designing and implementing safety programs, processes and procedural documentation.
· Considerable knowledge of local safety and health regulatory laws and practices of investigations and workplace safety.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with site leaders.
· English speaking and writing fluency is required.
· Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with senior leaders.
· Ability to develop and implement department goals and strategies.
· Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability.
Amazon Web Services is a secure cloud services platform, offering compute power, database storage, content delivery, and other functionality to help businesses scale and grow. Millions of customers currently leverage our cloud products and solutions to build sophisticated applications with increased flexibility, scalability, and reliability.
Our Cape Town development center is where the where Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) was first created, in 2005, and still plays a key role in developing and running the majority of Amazon’s EC2 core. In 2012, we also started building an AWS Support group based in Cape Town.
AWS isn’t a start-up any more, but that doesn’t stop us from acting like one. We set out every day to innovate and disrupt the status quo. We pursue unexpected paths and try to see things differently. We don’t just sit back and watch the world change; we’re the ones changing it. And we’re on the hunt for curious and inventive builders who want to join a company where every day is full of challenging and meaningful work.
Sound like you? Then come build the future with us.