Exciting opportunity for a Construction Manager to join a leading mining company for a 12 month contract based in either Matla, Mpumalanga or Waterberg, Limpopo (to be confirmed). Government Certificate of Competence and Coal Mining experience essential.
Package: R 96 135
Duration: 12 Months
Location: Mpumalanga or Limpopo (to be confirmed)
- To provide expert knowledge and management of construction as a function across all large and mega projects.
- To set standards and to ensure that sound practices are applied across all projects, adding maximum value for business of today/tomorrow.
- To oversee and advise Project Managers and insourced Project Construction Managers with respect to construction management of projects and governance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Compliance, Governance and Assurance
- Set project construction management guidelines and standards; inconjunction with Manager, Project compliance and governance.
- Ensure compliance to set governance across all projects
- Adhere to Mine Health and Safety Act (MHSA) and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act and comply with company specific Safety Health and Environment (SHE) policies and procedures and other legal requirements
- Conduct assurance reviews on construction management project processes
- Technical compliance to Governance in terms of construction management
- Perform design reviews (internal and new business)
- Develop, maintain and govern standards for contract terms of the agreement and cost, time, quality and site administration management
- Maintain and ensure that contract document and standard forms are used in the construction phase of the project
- Ensure that the testing of materials and workmanship is carried out according to prescribed requirements
- Manage all audits
- Manage all draw down contracts with construction management contractors and take full accountability for these contracts
- Ensure that only approved sub-contractors are allowed.
- Standardise, simplify and speed-up construction management processes and eliminate duplication/bureaucracy
- Develop and apply construction management best practices, promote sharing of best practices/knowledge between centres
- Drive and execute functional excellence initiatives
- Contribute to construction management functional/cross-functional alignment with other project and functional disciplines
- Contribute to effective reporting to ensure safety and operational excellence
- Provide high level expert technical assurance to project teams/individuals and increase awareness of technology advancements/innovations to ensure access to appropriate outputs to meet business deliverables
- Identify, report and manage critical functional risks through appropriate mitigation plans/actions governance: ensure function adheres to governance, policies and standards, statutory and legal compliance. Entrench a culture of discipline.
- Act as the "intelligent buyer" of outside competencies, skills and technology to fulfil required deliverables if and when required.
- Financial management: Support cost management and forecast drives by manager.
- Performance management: contributes to the functional strategic plan implementation through disciplined execution processes, track implementation and provide status (success and failure) feedback to manager. Project compliance and governance for integrated functional management approach. Set and maintain high performance standards. Track and drive targets/goals, hold construction management team members responsible for achieving results. Remove obstacles that interfere with reaching objectives and handle performance problems
- Continuous improvement and functional change: Identify, advocate for and lead construction management improvement and change. Create a culture of continuous improvement and change agility in function
- Engagement/communication: Communicate and engage construction management employees (including insourced resources). Engage with operations and cross-functionally with peers
- Develop and build strategic partnerships with suppliers in order to ensure effective and efficient execution of all types of projects.
Knowledge Management and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge sharing across business units and projects
- Construction management community of practice (with all insourced resources).
- Knowledge sharing, investigation on related issues and guidance.
- Coordination of actions to reduce construction management risks
- Maintain a consolidated active Group wide lesson learned for construction management.
Safe and Healthy Work Environment
- Adhere to all health/safety practices and promote good housekeeping on an ongoing basis.
- Address all unsafe practices/potential hazardous situations and rectify/report to superior.
- Comply with Safety Health Environment and Community (SHEC)/technical requirements and safety pre-cautionary measures.
- Provide the necessary guidance and support upfront to ensure compliance to the construction management standards
- Assist project managers and/or insourced construction managers with technically complex construction management advice where required
- Provide support to project managers and Business Units (BUs) project managers in instances where there is no appointed project construction manager.