As a Product Manager, you will guide a team that is charged with a product line contribution as a business unit. This extends from increasing the profitability of existing products to developing new products for the company. You will build products from existing ideas, and help to develop new ideas based on your industry experience and your contact with customers and prospects. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the market to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions for the broader market.
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with other product and technical evaluation teams to define product release requirements. You will work with marketing communications to define the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customer. You will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering, occasionally working with the sales channel and key customers.
- Managing the entire product line life cycle.
- Specifying market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by on-going visits to customers and non-customers.
- Driving a solution set across development teams (primarily Development/ project orientated, and Marketing Communications) through market requirements, product contract, and positioning.
- Developing and implementing a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
- Analysing potential partner relationships for the product. Responsible for providing the sales team with the necessary technical / tactical expertise to enable them to sell the product. This involves printed and electronic promotional material, product training, and relevant clinical papers.
- Responsible for reviewing product data to ensure that the sales force is kept up to date on new developments regarding the companies or competitors’ products.
- Act as point of first reference for all product related enquiries and work collaboratively with colleagues in technical and supply to address any issues that may arise.
- Close liaison with the sales force to assess the response to and suitability of current promotional material and to ensure that the printed promotional material is being used optimally.
- Design market research projects to assess customer attitudes to the current product range and new product introductions. Either conduct this research with in-house staff or manage an outside agency i.e. initial identification of suitable partner/s, definition of responsibilities, communication plan/s, divisions of responsibility, milestones, contract with company, review transcripts and reports, and recommend action plans from the research.
- Assist with the development of the annual marketing plan and for controlling advertising, promotion and sales aids in accordance with the annual marketing plan.
- Responsible for preparing product forecasts, and constantly monitoring inventory levels held at central and branch warehouses including liaison with supply chain (locally and globally) to ensure supply timelines.
- Liaise with the advertising agency regarding the product campaign including journal advertising, direct mail and conferences / new product launches and market awareness.
- Define the product strategy and roadmap.
- Work with external third parties to assess partnerships and product placement opportunities.
- Be an expert with respect to the competition and pricing positioning and market share analysis.
- Develop the core positioning and messaging for the product.
- Perform product demos and assist in product solution offerings to customers.
- Set pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals.
- Deliver an annual revenue forecast.
- Develop sales tools and collateral.