People in their 20s often have the rough end of the stick when searching for a job. Firstly, you’re just coming out of university, which more than often means that you have no industry experience and secondly, most companies won’t give you a second glance without having work experience. It’s a catch 50 that you simply can’t avoid. Here are a few tips to get you through this stormy time.
1. There’s light at the end of the tunnel. It may not seem like it now, but your job will come. People don’t stay in their positions forever; as more retire, more positions will open up. Don’t give up.
2. Don’t expect to fall into your dream job right away. Very seldom does it happen that your dream job just falls into your lap. The first job you get may not be your dream job, but it will still be a job that will help you gain experience and get you one step closer to where you’d like to be. Employers like to know that you have some experience, not only education, under your belt.
3. The real world is not like school. When you’re at school and even at university, your teachers and lecturers try to prepare you for the real world, but once you’re in it, you’ll find it far different from what you’ve been told. An interview for example requires more of a conversational, but professional tone. And each job interview requires its own research.
4. Never settle for one interview. Apply for as many jobs as possible and go for as many interviews as possible. The last thing you should do is rely on just one interview to get you the job. Chances are you’ll have to go for a few interviews before you even land a job. And if you do get offered two jobs, all you’ll have to do is choose which one suits you better.
5. Computer skills pay off: Social media and mobile marketing is big in the marketing industry, for example and since you’re just leaving or have already left school, you probably know more about it than Generation X. If you do, list it on your CV or create your own website that shows off your tech skills.
6. After the storm, comes a rainbow. If you’ve been going for endless interviews and haven’t received a call back, it may not be because of your lack of experience or skills. There could be internal reasons too. If nothing else, you’re gaining valuable interview experience that will allow you to improve for future interviews.
Still searching for the perfect job? Careers24.com has over 8 000 jobs to pick and choose from. No time to browse? Set up email alerts after you’ve created a profile and you’ll receive job posts directly to your inbox.